It can be an exciting time to celebrate an anniversary. And yes, we as a church are celebrating the 60th Anniversary of the founding of this church in our area.
To celebrate our 60th Anniversary, we are holding a special worship service on Sunday morning, September 30, 2018. As this Sunday is when we traditionally have one service, we will celebrate together and follow the service with a luncheon downstairs in our Fellowship Hall. Former pastors, Bill McCartney, John Weaver, and Paul Milliken will be sharing stories and inspiration during our worship time.
As a note about our history, this church began with Sunday School meetings and worship in the summer of 1958. We celebrate the anniversary in September because on September 21, 1958, we held a Charter ceremony during worship that morning.
Brisket and home made pies were served at the first church dinner. Therefore, brisket and sides will be served at the anniversary luncheon along with home made pies. If you are willing to bake a pie, please contact Carolyn Baker. A free will offering will be taken. There is a sign up sheet on the narthex bulletin board, call the church office at 412-793-9000 or email at email@example.com.
A Very Brief History of our 60 Years Together
In the fall of 1956 a group of five families from the Crescent Hills neighborhood had a vision of a new church in Penn Hills. At the same time the Methodist Church Union was exploring the Eastern Suburbs area with the thought of establishing a new church.
In June 1957 the Methodist Conference appointed Mr. Jerry Smith, a student at Western Theological Seminary, as part-time minister to assist the group. Sunday services were held in private homes and Rosedale Fire Hall. The name was Penn Hills Methodist Church.
A residence was purchased at 99 Glenfield Drive which later served as the Parsonage. Service and church services were moved here. Rev. William McCartney was appointed in June 1958 to serve as the first full-time pastor. He was joined by his wife, Judy, and daughter, Cynthia.
Two charter members are still living – Dorothy Highberger and Shirley Tomb.
Land was purchased in June of 1959 from Mr. Charles Turner who donated one fifth of the purchase price. The cornerstone was laid on June 2, 1963, and the building was completed to begin holding services in it on December 8, 1963. At that time the name was changed to Trinity Tower Methodist Church. At the time of the merger with the Evangelical United Brethren Church it was changed to Trinity Tower United Methodist Church.
In 2003 a new roof was put over the sanctuary area and air conditioning was installed in the sanctuary and narthex. In April 2008 the kitchen was remodeled and a projector for the computer and a screen and new sound system were added to the sanctuary.
Trinity Tower Pastors:
- William A. McCartney, 1958-1968 (Judy)
- Donald R. Brown, 1968-1972 (Hildegarde)
- Raymond V. Bengston, 1972-1983 – deceased July 27, 1996 (Eileen)
- John H. Weaver, 1983-Dec. 1 1992 (Alyce)
- Paul R. Milliken, Feb. 1993 – June 2008 (Beth)
- Supplied by Rev. Dr. Paul Schrazading when Pastor Paul was in Iraq
- Dale A. Reese, July 1, 2008 – present (Sylvia)
Taken from “A History of Trinity Tower United Methodist Church, Penn Hills, Pennsylvania”
In celebration of Fifty Years – 1958-2008