Your Spring Cleaning Will Help The Blessing Board
As you de-clutter your kitchen cabinets, drawers, linen closet, and other areas of your home, turn your excess into someone else’s treasure. The Blessing Board is a charitable organization that “blesses” persons with furniture and household items. With the main warehouse in Oakmont and a small distribution center in McKeesport, there are giveaways almost every Saturday of the year, and the Oakmont location holds smaller giveaways during the week.
As you’re going through your home, here are some “trash” to treasure items:
In the kitchen ..
Plates, bowls, silverware, glasses, pots, pans,
pot holders, trivets, utensils such as spatulas,
serving spoons, turners, and small appliances
such as coffee pots, toaster or toaster
oven, can opener, blender, and crock pots.
In the linen closet …
Bath Towels, hand towels, wash cloths,
sheets*, blankets, comforters*, bed
spreads*, and mattress pads*
*please indicate the size and don’t worry if
you don’t have a complete sheet set because
your pillow case(s), flat sheets and/or fitted
sheet will be matched into a complete set
with other donations.
Random Extras around the house…
Lamps, curtains, curtain rods, area rugs,
throw rugs, trash cans, hampers, and
anything else you think may be useful to
someone starting over
There is a collection box in the narthex for these smaller items. If you have furniture to donate, please call The Blessing Board directly at 412-828-1055 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. There is a furniture pick-up service, but most pick-ups are done by volunteers, and as a result, it may take a while for someone to get to you. If you have a way to get the furniture to the main warehouse in Oakmont, that would be the quickest and easiest way. Someone is there to receive donations Monday through Friday from 10:00am – 2:00pm; however, please call to confirm as times may change. Also, call or email if you would like to make alternate arrangements for drop-off.
The Blessing Board is located roughly two blocks from the Hulton Bridge, at:140 Pennsylvania Avenue
Oakmont, PA 15139
For more information about The Blessing Board, visit their website at www.theblessingboard.org.
Who are the Clients of The Blessing Board?
The persons served at The Blessing Board come from a great variety of circumstances. Most clients are referred by agencies such as Veteran Affairs, Urban League, Children’s Youth services, and Mercy Behavioral Health, just to name of few. A lot of clients hear by word of mouth. Though closed for two months in 2015 while moving from the smaller Frey Road warehouses in Penn Hills to one large warehouse in Oakmont, 705 persons/families were served in 2015 representing 96 different zip codes, which is an increase from 674 clients in 2014 from 81 different zip codes.
Some persons come to The Blessing Board needing a houseful of furniture, such as the fire victim, the homeless person who just got placed in permanent housing, or the domestic abuse victim who escaped with the clothes on her back. Others may just need a bed and bedroom furniture for their grandchild for whom they just received custody. No matter the circumstance and how many beds, dressers, couches and tables are given away, The Blessing Board exists to serve the Lord. Everyone who comes to The Blessing Board receives a Bible because it’s really not about the furniture. Yes, those served at The Blessing Board go home with a U-Haul full of furniture, but it’s about the message that is received while they’re there. The Blessing Board is a Christ-centric organization that strives to spread the Good News. You may have noticed that one of the options at Christmas in the TTUMC Alternate Giving program (Outreach Christmas Donation Project) was Bibles for The Blessing Board. At The Blessing Board, once all the furniture has been loaded onto the recipient’s truck, they are sent away with hope, a prayer, and a bible.
How Can You Help?
The Blessing Board runs on the help of volunteers from local churches such as our very own Trinity Tower United Methodist Church. If you are interested in volunteering, call the main number at 412-828-1055 or email email@example.com.
The following are some ways to help The Blessing Board:
- Organizing Crew: Items are coming in and going out daily almost daily. As you can imagine, things get a bit disorganized. If you have a knack for organizing, The Blessing Board can use your help sorting through the intake, putting together towel or sheet sets, and putting together dish sets.
- Heavy Lifting: If organizing isn’t your thing, but you are blessed with good health and strength, The Blessing Board can use your help during their giveaways. The furniture is lifted and loaded onto the recipient’s truck, so strong men and women are needed for this task. Even when donated furniture comes back to the warehouse, help is always needed unloading the truck(s).
- 3) Prayers: Never underestimate the power of prayer! The Blessing Board will always need prayers for the safety of those serving, for seeds to be planted for those attending, and for The Lord Jesus Christ to always remain at the heart of the organization.
- Warehouse projects: At the main warehouse in Oakmont, there is a list of miscellaneous tasks that need to be done, which may include things such as painting or drywall work. Please call for more details.
- Financial Support: If you would like to make a donation individually and/or through your employer, funds are always needed to keep the electricity and gas on, to keep the trucks on the road, and the phones ringing. Please make checks payable to “The Blessing Board” and mail it to
140 Pennsylvania Avenue, Oakmont, PA 15139
. The Blessing Board is a non-profit 501(c) (3) organization; donations are tax-deductible.
- Shop, have coffee and dessert, and enjoy live music on a Friday night in Oakmont … Every Friday night, the Avenue Coffee shop and Vintage Market located at 140 Pennsylvania Avenue are open from 4 – 10 p.m. Shop the Vintage Market for unique finds, and then enjoy dessert (provided by Oakmont Bakery) and a drink at The Avenue coffee shop. There is a large variety of specialty coffees available, along with hot chocolate, hot tea, and cold drinks (ice tea, lemonade and bottled water) available for a free will offering. Live music typically plays from 6:00pm – 9:00pm and has included musicians from the Trinity Tower Praise Team. Usually one of the board members can be found to happily give tours of the warehouse. It’s really something you have to see to fully understand and appreciate The Blessing Board.
- Shop Amazon.com, well actually shop smile.amazon.com. By shopping on the smile.amazon.com website, a portion of your purchase will be donated to The Blessing Board when you choose it as your charity.