Trinity Tower is involved in a wide variety of missions through our Outreach Council.
Dawn Himes Pinner, Chair
The Missions and Outreach Committee supports several organizations and outreach efforts by collecting a variety of items. The boxes/bins throughout the narthex collect these items. Most of the boxes/baskets are on the floor under all the coat racks, except one basket sits on the shelf above the coat rack. The following lists the organization or ministries that we collect for and the items that we collect:
- Lions Club International Vision Programs – collects old prescription glasses (when you walk into the narthex, this basket is on the shelf above the first coat rack on the left).
- Penn Hills Service Association – collects a variety of items, often a non-perishable food item, but the collection focus changes monthly. For example, the February 2017 collection item was sugar. The exact collection item for the month is published in the Tidings and on the website here.
- Purse Ministry – we collect gently used purses, fill them with toiletries (listed in the next bullet), and then distribute them to women’s shelters. Please note that a large purse is most ideal so that it can fit all the toiletries. We cannot fit everything in the small to medium sized purses. But waste not! Any purse not used in the purse ministry gets re-directed to the Penn Hills Service Association bin. And if they can’t use it, we will find a new home for this donation.
- Toiletries – shampoo*, conditioner*, lotion*, comb/brush, soap, hand sanitizer, pocket tissues, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant Chapstick, nail file/emery board, feminine hygiene products, etc. are collected, then packed in purses with a little prayer sheet, and distributed to various women’s shelters.
*Travel size is most convenient.
- Ronald McDonald House – collects non-perishable food items, paper products, pop tabs, personal hygiene products, and kids activities (crayons and coloring books) then delivers to the Ronald McDonald house, which houses the families of hospitalized children (for those families who live far away). The more specific list of items as it appears on the collection box is as follows: cereal/pop-tarts, individually wrapped snacks, tea, creamer, sugar, toilet paper, paper towels, aluminum foil, plastic wrap, sandwich bags, heavy duty paper plates, plastic silverware, dust mops, trash bags, tall kitchen bags, and pop tabs. And don’t forget kids’ activities.
- The Blessing Board – collects household items and delivers them to The Blessing Board, where they provide families in need with these household goods and free furniture. The household items most needed are as follows: kitchen items (pots, pans, silverware, dishes, measuring cups/spoons, and utensils); bathroom items (towels, bathroom rugs, shower curtains and hooks, and soap dishes /dispensers); bedroom items (sheets, comforters, bedspreads, blankets, and pillows); and any size lamp.
The above lists the “regular” collections that happen during the entire year. For Lent, there will be additional collection bins to coordinate with the Lent Giving Calendar (see article here).
The TTUMC membership is always generous when it comes to donating to the various mission and outreach programs, and we thank you for your support.
Our other missions include:
- The Blessing Board – Gently used household items
- Fair Trade Products – Coffee, tea, chocolate for sale
- Food Bank – Lincoln Park Community
- International Justice Mission – Anti-human trafficking
- Jeremiah’s Place – Crisis Nursery
- Lions Club – recycle old eyeglasses
- Military Connections – Christmas Stockings etc.
- The Neighborhood Academy
- Panera — day old bread deliveries
- Penn Hills Service Association – Collect household supplies
- Red Bird Mission – Campbell’s Labels & Box Tops
- Ronald McDonald House – Aluminum can pop-tops
- Shining Arrow – Recycle aluminum cans
- Annual Sock Hop
- 2015 Summer Missions Trip
- Terracycle – Energy Bar Wrapper Collection
- Tom’s of Maine – recycling campaign (Toothpaste tubes, toothbrushes, etc.)
- Women’s Shelters – Purse ministry
- Young Lives East Hills – Young Mothers & Children